Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Servicing front brake callipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When requesting a brake lube service, the Service app wants to send me to my nearest service centre which is a 4.5 hr drive away. Until there is a closer centre and as it is a recurring service item, I am interested in doing this myself, as long as it is straightforward.
This video on the M3 suggests it is not difficult if they are not very corroded:

I can't find any such information for my LR MY, which has different front callipers to the M3 (Brembo performance Silver). If anyone has any helpful instruction on pad removal, lube areas and reassembly for these front callipers, it would be greatly appreciated. If you think this service is not for the inexperienced, I'd like to hear that also!

Cheers

I just did the brake clean and lube myself for my MYP. The most challenging part was the lifting with only regular floor jack and jack stand. I followed the Tesla service manual which is free for all owners now.

Model Y Service Manual

Another critical part is to choose the correct lube. Initially I used "Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant", but I get the dreaded metal to metal popping/clunking noise ever time I press the brake pedal after a month of normal driving.
I had to re do everything and found out that this lube dried up and disappeared leaving the pad to caliper sliding surface with no lube at all. So, do not use any ceramic stuff.
Instead use "Permatex 24129 Silicone Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant" or any silicone lube. You really don't need any fancy stuff since EVs rarely use the brakes.

Reactions: Mrdrbot23
This is an easy one for mobile service to perform, not sure why it's not being offered in the app. Sometimes you can make an appt at a service center, message them, and they will switch it to mobile service. My mobile guy has always said he can do it, but it's not something I've tried yet.

Thank You for this great info! Didn’t know about the Service Manual. The instructions there seem to be very clear. Looks like I’ll need to buy a torx socket and make sure I have the right lube. Odd that I would need to replace the bolts. How do I order these?

I made a service appointment in March to do the brake cleaning/lube. Initially it was at my local SC, but a few days later they changed it to a mobile service. I ended up having an independent shop do it for me as I was getting my springs/shocks changed to an adjustable set there. The shop I used specialized in European cars but also advertises that they service Teslas.

BTW, the price quoted for this service by Tesla doubled compared to the last time I had them do it about a year and a half ago. Kind of crazy.

I bought Permatex 24122 from Princess Auto. Looks like Permatex offers a number of different formulas - how do you know which is the right one? Googling Tesla approved brake lubricant did not help.
Upon further study: Brembo’s lubrication product is called B-Quiet. It is mineral oil based. Permatex has a purple (ceramic) lubricant, orange (silicon-ceramic) and green (silicon) and the differences seem to be its higher temp performance rating (high to low respectively).

Just go to a local shop or request mobile service. I wouldn't DIY my brakes if I didn't know what I was doing (that's you). DIY is for peasants working low paid hourly jobs that cannot afford Tesla's and drive used beaters

Just go to a local shop or request mobile service. I wouldn't DIY my brakes if I didn't know what I was doing (that's you). DIY is for peasants working low paid hourly jobs that cannot afford Tesla's and drive used beaters
That is a hell of a hot take!!

1715265572010.png