Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This link says that about 60% of Russian oil and gas exports are from Baltic seaports, and that the two targeted by UKR this week are the two major sites. If correct, and UKR can keep them offline, that sounds like a massive blow to the Russian war machine. Best news I've read in quite some time.

Tankers subject to the price cap policy transporting oil products, chemicals, and LPG handled 63% of the total volume of products. The remaining volume was transported via “shadow” tankers. This month, 59% of Russia's total oil exports were shipped from Russian Baltic Sea ports. ... ... Should Ukraine successfully strike Russia's two major oil terminals in the Baltic Sea, Ust-Luga and Primorsk, it could halt the export of 1.5 million barrels of oil per day.

This link says that about 60% of Russian oil and gas exports are from Baltic seaports, and that the two targeted by UKR this week are the two major sites. If correct, and UKR can keep them offline, that sounds like a massive blow to the Russian war machine. Best news I've read in quite some time.

Though economically this is not good for the world economy. We do need to move away from oil as fast as we can, but right now, the world is still very dependent on oil. Shut off a significant portion of Russian oil and oil prices worldwide will go up. Even in the United States which is now a net oil exporter. A lot of democracies are having elections this year.

As much as I like seeing Ukrainian success, I am concerned about this factor.

Oil prices haven't shot up sharply since the attack, which is good, but a number of grades have been inching up a bit the last couple of weeks.

Though economically this is not good for the world economy. We do need to move away from oil as fast as we can, but right now, the world is still very dependent on oil. Shut off a significant portion of Russian oil and oil prices worldwide will go up. Even in the United States which is now a net oil exporter. A lot of democracies are having elections this year.

As much as I like seeing Ukrainian success, I am concerned about this factor.

Oil prices haven't shot up sharply since the attack, which is good, but a number of grades have been inching up a bit the last couple of weeks.
Unfortunately, we are not going to get off our oil addiction without pain.

For my kid's sake, I prefer we pull this bandage off NOW.

From my morning Guardian news feed:

• A Mexican border security deal in the US Senate is being finalised in a painstakingly negotiated compromise aimed at unlocking Republican support to replenish US wartime aid for Ukraine. But far-right House Republicans under the sway of Donald Trump have indicated that they want to block any bipartisan deal in order to hamper Joe Biden’sprospects for re-election as president – even if it leaves chaos at the US-Mexico border. “Let me tell you, I’m not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden’s approval rating,” Troy Nehls, a Texas Republican, told CNN.
  • Moderate Republican congressman Dan Crenshaw has criticised Maga Republicans not willing to work with Biden on border security and Ukraine aid. Crenshaw told MSNBC that some Republicans were saying “we’ll never vote for it if it’s attached to Ukraine aid. Really? We get meaningful border policy with the Ukraine aid and you’re not going to vote for that? You want Russia to win more than you want border policy changes? Some people say Biden wants it now because it’s helpful to him politically? OK! I want border security, that’s what I told my constituents I would do for them. So if we can get that deal, that’s a no-brainer.”

From a paywalled story in today’s Globe and Mail:

Making peace with Russia now would be surrender, Ukrainian winner of Nobel Peace Prize says​

“…Both the U.S. and Germany are reported to have nudged President Volodymyr Zelenskyto be more open to a negotiated settlement, and opinion polls in Ukraine suggest that the idea is becoming slightly more palatable here too. Support for negotiation rose to 19 per cent from 10 per cent between May and December of last year as the second anniversary of the war approaches, though the vast majority still oppose any territorial concessions…”
”…But Ms. Matviichuk says that any deal that leaves Russian troops occupying Ukrainian land is no peace at all. “Peace doesn’t come when a country that was invaded stops fighting. Because it’s not a peace, it’s occupation,” Ms. Matviichuk told The Globe and Mail in an interview at a café in the trendy Podil neighbourhood of Kyiv.

She said she and the Centre for Civil Liberties had learned through a decade of dealing with human-rights cases in Russian-controlled parts of Ukraine that life in those regions was anything but peaceful. Russia illegally seized and annexed the strategic Crimean Peninsula in 2014, and Russian-backed forces have ruled parts of the southeastern Donbas region since the same year…”

Unfortunately, we are not going to get off our oil addiction without pain.

For my kid's sake, I prefer we pull this bandage off NOW.

There are a number of elections this year. The UK is fine as far as Ukraine is concerned, but the best outcome for Ukraine in the US election is for the current administration to continue and economic issues always play a big role. Fuel prices need to decline this year to help the outcome of the election.

From my morning Guardian news feed:

The Senate is fairly easy to negotiate, the House is a different story. Mike Johnson, the Speaker of the House, said a week or two back that the only deal that would be acceptable to his caucus would be a complete shut down of the US-Mexico border. That border is the busiest in the world with over $600 million in commerce crossing the border every day. Shutting down that border would paralyze the US economy.