Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An essay from The Thoughtful Dane,
"We can win this
My son got a call on voice chat when he was playing Fortnite. A Russian guy. I was in the next room and overheard the conversation. I quickly went to his room and asked him to hang up and we had a talk about Russian influence operations.."

UN records 142 cases of Russia's summary executions of Ukrainian civilians

"On occupied territory, we have documented widespread torture and ill-treatment of detainees, including sexual violence, as well as large numbers of enforced disappearances," the UN official said at a meeting of the Human Rights Council in Geneva.

The UN said in November that at least 10,000 civilians had been confirmed as killed, and over 18,500 had been injured as a result of Russia's all-out war against Ukraine.

In Bucha alone, 461 civilians were killed by Russia, according to the fundraising initiative UNITED24.

The death toll of civilians in occupied territories is impossible to establish with certainty. While the UN confirmed the death of 1,348 civilians in the brutal siege of Mariupol, the organization noted the real figure was "likely thousands higher."

This was posted in the "Tesla Unionization" thread. I wrote a reply, but I'm guessing many of you can write better replies than I did. So feel free to add to what I wrote.

The way things are going in Germany... the government will need bailing out before the automaker does. They are really hurting over there due to Russia's actions. [My u.] Wasn't VW paying billions to settle the dieselgate lawsuits just a few years back? And why aren't we letting "market forces" put a nail in their coffin? Any stimulus to people is seen as "market manipulation." How are auto bailouts not the same thing? I digress.

My reply:

1. Really?... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Germany's debt as a percentage of GDP about half of what the US has? I see that you joined the forum just a couple of months ago... Are you possibly getting money from the Russian Dictator by any chance?...

[...] But hey... Nice try. ;) [...]

Last edited:
Source is two tweets. Embedded below under the graphics.

Russia has forced out at least 4 million people from temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine.

It has replaced them with Russian citizens or foreign migrants: 1/2

800,000 Russians have already settled in Crimea (1 million according to some estimates);

300,000 are planned to be moved to Mariupol;

100,000 migrants have been forced to work in the ns territories.

2/2

ukraina_ryssland_etnisk_rensning_united24.jpeg

twitter.com/United24media/status/1737455476390887906

Source is two tweets. Embedded below under the graphics.

Russia has forced out at least 4 million people from temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine.

It has replaced them with Russian citizens or foreign migrants: 1/2

800,000 Russians have already settled in Crimea (1 million according to some estimates);

300,000 are planned to be moved to Mariupol;

100,000 migrants have been forced to work in the ns territories.

To me it is nothing new that Russia is breaking every rule in the written or unwritten book. Russia lives by the rule All Is Fair in Love and War.

• Love
Reactions: navguy12
  • Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
A couple of videos showing what the mine clearing teams are facing daily.
They highlight another problem caused by a lack of supplies. Instead of disposing of them in situ, they dig them up and move them so they can be destroyed in piles in order to conserve their own explosives.

Swedish, but with English subs

Last edited:
To me it is nothing new that Russia is breaking every rule in the written or unwritten book. Russia lives by the rule All Is Fair in Love and War.
Another example, in that same vein:

The subsequent interrogation lasted for hours and veered from aggression to cajoling. At one point, the FSB man offered her a job in occupied Mariupol: “You have a PhD, you are respected, perhaps we can make you the rector of the university there,” he said. “There will not be any exchanges soon. So you can either rot in this prison for life or accept our offer,” he added.

Another example, in that same vein:
[A Russian interogator] said “There will not be any exchanges soon. So you can either rot in this prison for life or accept our offer,” he added.
[I can no longer add new lines inside of quotes]
I blame this on Ukraine and Zelensky. Not only did they violate the terms for prisoner exchange, they publicly bragged about the violation!

Moscow denounces return of Mariupol commanders sent to Turkey in prisoner swap

Moscow freed some of them in September in a prisoner swap brokered by Ankara, under terms that required the commanders to remain in Turkey until the end of the war.
“We are returning home from Turkey and bringing our heroes home,” said Zelenskiy who met Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan for talks in Istanbul on Friday.
I 100% back Ukraine in their war to oust the Russian invaders but that doesn't mean everything Ukraine does is right. When this violation happened last summer and many people were delighting in it I said it was a terrible idea. There is now very little incentive for Russia to exchange high level prisoners or to exchange prisoners with a conditioned release. It's heart breaking. They f'ed around and found out.

...Moscow denounces return of Mariupol commanders sent to Turkey in prisoner swap...There is now very little incentive for Russia to exchange high level prisoners or to exchange prisoners with a conditioned release...
Would agree when principled actors are involved, the incentive to exchange high level prisoners diminishes.

Not making excuses for Ukraine for any skullduggery, but they may understand the Russian playbook better than us.

Russia is most certainly not a principled actor and their longstanding pattern is one of hostage taking such as with Western journalists and others they kidnap and imprison on false grounds to use for their nefarious leverage. One might argue that future repatriation of hostages/prisoners will remain mostly a matter of what extortion item(s) can be immediately given to Putin for that exchange.

Would add - as noted in this case the deal was "brokered" by Turkey, one of many parties Putin hopes to bend towards his favor and to flummox the West. This is to suggest there are several angles Putin is interested in that other ethical persons may not be inclined to oblige.