Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proposed EV tax in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it makes sense for a state that is one of the first to really feel climate change (i.e. flooding in Miami Beach due to rising sea levels) to want to slow down the adoption of technology that will prevent it. Talk about penny wise, dollar foolish.

Reactions: dreamwave6
Reading Nick's comments I was slightly surprised that our Florida club did not seek comments from us before responding. In principle we probably all think road users should help pay for infrastructure. We also know that there are explicit and implicit incentives for gasoline stations and petroleum infrastructure.
However, a large however, the Florida State gasoline tax is 42.3 cents per gallon (~14% at a price of $3.00 per gallon), . Again however, the Florida State electricity is subject of sales tax of 4.35%.

Dispassionately we must agree that EV's pay much less than do ICE. As public policy that makes sense, but politically the situation differs. Florida licensing is among the world's cheapest by any measure. Adding any of the proposed prices to EV licensing still has much cheaper fees than in most worldwide locations including many other States in the US.

The Senate Bill 140 and House Bill 819 are both seem quite appropriate, in my view, because they specify the funds go to the State transportation Trust Fund. So, what is that fund? The three largest expenditures are, in order, Construction, Consultants and Miscellaneous. The there largest revenues, in order, are Fuel Tax, Federal Aid with third shared between Tag fees and "reimbursements'. As usual the financial information raises new questions, that are not easy to clarify.

Still, the only changes that could make these fees more equitable would be some form of progressive fee. In reality almost nothing in government fee structures can cope with that issue. Typically, as in Florida, such issues are dealt with, for better or worse, with tax exemptions and/or rebates. (e.g. Florida Homestead exemption, itself with a very modest flat exemption ). Any such modification is not likely to be very workable in Florida.

Reading Nick's comments I was slightly surprised that our Florida club did not seek comments from us before responding. In principle we probably all think road users should help pay for infrastructure. We also know that there are explicit and implicit incentives for gasoline stations and petroleum infrastructure.
However, a large however, the Florida State gasoline tax is 42.3 cents per gallon (~14% at a price of $3.00 per gallon), . Again however, the Florida State electricity is subject of sales tax of 4.35%.

Dispassionately we must agree that EV's pay much less than do ICE. As public policy that makes sense, but politically the situation differs. Florida licensing is among the world's cheapest by any measure. Adding any of the proposed prices to EV licensing still has much cheaper fees than in most worldwide locations including many other States in the US.

The Senate Bill 140 and House Bill 819 are both seem quite appropriate, in my view, because they specify the funds go to the State transportation Trust Fund. So, what is that fund? The three largest expenditures are, in order, Construction, Consultants and Miscellaneous. The there largest revenues, in order, are Fuel Tax, Federal Aid with third shared between Tag fees and "reimbursements'. As usual the financial information raises new questions, that are not easy to clarify.

Still, the only changes that could make these fees more equitable would be some form of progressive fee. In reality almost nothing in government fee structures can cope with that issue. Typically, as in Florida, such issues are dealt with, for better or worse, with tax exemptions and/or rebates. (e.g. Florida Homestead exemption, itself with a very modest flat exemption ). Any such modification is not likely to be very workable in Florida.
JC,

We did seek comments from our membership. Please refer to the email that I sent to you. SB 140 has a companion bill SB 138 that establishes an EV Infrastructure Grant Program that subsidizes charging infrastructure projects at qualifying locations. My layperson's interpretation of the current language is that the fees collected due to SB 140 go to the Transportation Trust Fund from enactment until 2023. Then it goes to the Grant Program until both bills sunset at the end of 2030. If an EV flat fee is imposed, as Charles Morris points out in the Charged Magazine article, some may view it as a pro-EV measure since it is funding charging infrastructure.

Larry

JC,

We did seek comments from our membership....
I apologize for having completely missed the entire club activity during that period.

I did review SB 138. My comments were directly solely towards the license fees in relationship to sales taxes on ICE vs BEV. Thus I was responding to the Florida fees in comparison to other US ones, considering also the Toal vehicle cost of operation. While the destination of the funds is an important consideration so also is the Florida State propensity to implement legislation according to the State Government decision makers.

My slightly cynical view results from 35 years of legal Florida residency with unusual implementations of various established laws. The EV charging infrastructure issue is in my opinion a very separate issue. That, as well as past State policies apart from legislation, has aided BEV use in numerous municipalities including my own as well as public charging facilities. The Charged article does not mention the vary important part fo EV use in Florida from tourists and others who have no home charging available.

As the marketplace shifts to EVs, a tax is the only pathway to fiscal readiness....

Thus, I have no issue with EV's being taxed for road use
.....Granted, weather helps but FL's roads are in great shape and will remain so if we keep the transportation fund filled.

How EVs should be taxed is the ultimate question to be asked/answered versus should they be taxed.