Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery degradation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question that isn't FSD related but was hoping someone in here might be able to help.

I have a Dec 2016 Model S 75D. When new its rated range was 259 miles and currently max rated range is about 235 miles. Makes sense and I don't have a problem with it. 9% degradation over 5 years and 81,000 miles is average it seems.
My concern is the kWh. Last night I charged 87% of the battery and it said 55 kWh charged. If 55 kWh = 87% then mathematically 100% would be just 63 kWh. I know the usable is always less than the size of the pack, but does this seem right? Is my max really only about 63 kWh usable out of a 75 kWh pack now? Wondering if any other similar Model S 75D owners have a similar experience.

I have a question that isn't FSD related but was hoping someone in here might be able to help.

I have a Dec 2016 Model S 75D. When new its rated range was 259 miles and currently max rated range is about 235 miles. Makes sense and I don't have a problem with it. 9% degradation over 5 years and 81,000 miles is average it seems.
My concern is the kWh. Last night I charged 87% of the battery and it said 55 kWh charged. If 55 kWh = 87% then mathematically 100% would be just 63 kWh. I know the usable is always less than the size of the pack, but does this seem right? Is my max really only about 63 kWh usable out of a 75 kWh pack now? Wondering if any other similar Model S 75D owners have a similar experience.
Check it over a few charges, even in smaller charge amounts.
Mine works out on average around 67 kWh.
11/16 75D with 50k miles. Rated range 242mi

• Helpful
Reactions: GoofyGoober
Check it over a few charges, even in smaller charge amounts.
Mine works out on average around 67 kWh.
11/16 75D with 50k miles. Rated range 242mi

Okay I will but this info from you is pretty helpful too. Similar build time and config you just have 31k miles less than me currently with about 4 more kWh and about 7 miles more rated range. I guess my numbers seem about right or at least you can expect to be around where I am when you get to 80k miles haha

Okay I will but this info from you is pretty helpful too. Similar build time and config you just have 31k miles less than me currently with about 4 more kWh and about 7 miles more rated range. I guess my numbers seem about right or at least you can expect to be around where I am when you get to 80k miles haha
@technoz posted on twitter that he only lost 10mi of range... his 2016 75D has 105k mi
I'd like to hear his stats and charging habits