Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I genuinely think that whatever that update is has something to do with the fact that they have not released full reviews yet. My suspicion is that there is something that they want to add or change or enhance on the performance version before they allow the YouTubers to fully review them.

I've thought this from the day they released it and no full reviews were available (still aren't). And as soon as rivet-gate happened on the CT, I thought... they probably don't want another release glitch like that. It must be something that's holding them up even if it's unlocking a little more power or something. It could even be something silly like a child seat latch position or something (as happened I think in Australia). Just dotting their i's and crossing their t's. They must be close given the EDDs we are getting.

I don't get why they're even shipping "showroom only" vehicles to the service centers as a Demo-you-can't-drive. Fill the backlog first, then worry about convincing people to make new sales by being able to sit in and touch it.
I can't imagine the utter abuse a demo M3P would go through. The tires would be chewed-up by the time they go to sell the vehicle at EOQ as a demo unit. Definitely not one I'd wanna buy! (Which might be why they are sit-but-don't-drive units.

That's just it. These "demos" seem to be "look but don't touch" garage queens that you're not allowed to drive. One or two SC's might have let one go out for a test drive but I bet afterward... someone got fired!

Reactions: GuyFromAz

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpeg
    IMG_3286.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3287.jpeg
    IMG_3287.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 5
I can't imagine the utter abuse a demo M3P would go through. The tires would be chewed-up by the time they go to sell the vehicle at EOQ as a demo unit. Definitely not one I'd wanna buy! (Which might be why they are sit-but-don't-drive units.)
Mine's going to the track.

Let's talk discount numbers! I'm game. I've had 2 "miles but first title" vehicles of the Model S variety and well worth it.

I ran the following prompts through ChatGPT to try and come up with a target:

1. how many tesla model 3 performance trims did Tesla sell last year? In 2023: 63,000 Total Model 3s sold, no breakdown of performance versus other trims.
  2. what percentage of car buyers in the US buy a performance car? Around 3%
If you apply those numbers, we're only looking at a few thousand M3P sold in 2024. And this is for a car that has no detailed reviews out, and it's being released halfway through the year, so it could be less than 1,000 cars.

I think there's far fewer orders out there than people suspect. Even if the tax credit sweetens the deal, it won't attract more than 30% more buyers, so I think the upper end is probably 2,000 orders for the year.
I don't know, I'm the earliest pre-order according to the current spreadsheet and I know enough people who were earlier than me that I highly doubt the tracker has 1/16 of the total orders so far. Looking at the sales numbers from 2023 is also misleading because a lot of us have been waiting since 2023 for this thing. In 23, the Highland had already come out globally and people didn't want to buy an already outdated car. I've personally been waiting since October for the M3P.

Also, anyone that followed the market at all knew to expect the M3P would be discount eligible, so I suspect a fair number of people that wouldn't normally get a performance trim waited for the discount. It's a lot easier to sell someone on a performance trim when it's cheaper than the LR model.

Finally made an account after lurking for weeks lol. Wanted to point out that one of the first demo M3Ps (in Santa Monica) is ultra red / black interior. Hopefully that means my stealth gray / black EDD is accurate 😁
Those are the original demos. All of them were black. Initially, the black interior was to launch first since all Highland white interiors have been on backorder. The last week, everything changed as new VINs and new sightings are ALL of white interior. It now seems that the highland white interior MP3 is going first.

Reactions: M3PDenver
If you go to that text thread that guy that posted originally said Carlsbad
I saw that but Carlsbad doesn't have that kind of a parking lot. The building is in the center and there is a single row of spots around the building. Thiis picture is either a satellite lot or a different Center. I am going to go check out Miramar today. I'll go back to Carlsbad tomorrow and ask but last night they said they were expecting a White on White next week as their demo. It would be sweet if these two were for local delivery. I just want to check the seats out

Reactions: M3PDenver
This will be a software update similar to the performance boost we saw. My bet.

The new M3 doesn't have a module, it has MYQ. I like it better, having both. No need to swap it.
I just absolutely refuse to pay Chamberlain to use my own network with my own hardware to do something that costs them absolutely nothing and only does stuff they previously promised me I could do with my door. Trying to now charge me $30 a year is profiteering BS and I don't care what it costs, my next garage door opener will not be made by Chamberlain/Liftmaster. I was a MyQ early adopter and instead they've now lost a customer. No way I'm paying more for 10 years of MyQ than I pay for my garage door opener in the first place. It's insulting.

In addition to that, it didn't even work reliably for me in the trial.

I just absolutely refuse to pay Chamberlain to use my own network with my own hardware to do something that costs them absolutely nothing and only does stuff they previously promised me I could do with my door. Trying to now charge me $30 a year is profiteering BS and I don't care what it costs, my next garage door opener will not be made by Chamberlain/Liftmaster. I was a MyQ early adopter and instead they've now lost a customer. No way I'm paying more for 10 years of MyQ than I pay for my garage door opener in the first place. It's insulting.

In addition to that, it didn't even work reliably for me in the trial.

Not to nit pick, but maintaining servers to operate a cloud based service does indeed cost money. The opener is just a universal device that sends a signal, it's not a garage door opener. Without it, you can just carry your garage door opener in the car. It's pretty handy really, I like that I can also open with my phone for neighbors etc. Amazon link: https://a.co/d/0jvAHVU