Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Haven't downloaded the Dec "recall" update to autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go find a McDonalds with free Wifi. Or one of the many other solutions

Not one of those solutions solves the lost time issue.

This isn't solely about $$$ cost, this is time cost.

Maybe you guys all have other family members who 'make' Christmas for you but for those of us who do make Christmas for their families, taking 3+ waking hours to go and chase after the phantom perfect update in my car is a frustration I don't want to put myself through.

The 2023 holiday update is proof that tesla doesn't get updates right the first time. There are dozens of threads in TMC that point to the updates causing problems with hardware, leading to even more time lost for those owners trying to figure out what the problem is.

In your lovely world of a car tucked into a garage with solid wifi, the length of the download is no problem. We originally thought we'd be able to sign on at fast food places or mall wifi and combine tasks. Doesn't happen because too often they require an additional sign-in page, not just a password, or the signal is weak or the service is just too friggin slow. Remember, I have no idea how large a download will be, thanks to tesla not sharing that data with me.

Our solid solution is to drive (20+ minutes, so each download is a minimum of 60 minutes of my time) to a SC and sign in there with the password for the guest network. This works well, but it takes time, they leave that wifi up 24/7 so we can do this at any time (the 2020 holiday update we did on Dec. 25 because that was the year that Christmas was cancelled here and we could not gather with others - it was something fun to do and then sit in the car for ages after the install and explore all the changes, then take the car to the homes of our kids and socially distance outside while they watched the light show.) Unfortunately, neither SC in our area is within walking distance of any errands I might have to do. There are no combining of tasks for me.

Updating is not a bad thing. It is just that it, like the 'plus' of charging at one's parking spot at home, updates make assumptions about how owners are housed. I'm not against updates and will agree that in delivering things like this recall, it is a good thing, but it is a double edge sword that also allows for the removal of features (both UI and hardware) from my car.

In my case, the inconvenience for doing updates (along with the bad reputation they have and the fact that they cost me my radar, functioning auto-wipers and removing and months later returning easy access to the defrost button) make me pause and wait until I make sure that the update is robust, and that I fully understand what features I'm losing as well as those that I'm gaining. If it is a true safety issue, tesla has the option of updating via LTE.

As long as it takes tesla multiple attempts to create a robust, non-destructive, update, I'll wait and let the engineers use other owners as their guinea pigs and wait patiently for either a forced update, or at the very least, a robust update that is worth my time to download.

I'm now two major updates behind. The first will update our FSDbollocks but we are not in a season where we use that feature of our car because it can't cope with salt spray, road markings wiped out by snow/salt, or avoid damage to my car by avoiding pot holes. It will also change the AP nags but as we never are nagged now, we don't anticipate any problem going forward and we are used to the camera being part of the nag process. I'm looking forward to an update that leaves the damn messages on the screen long enough for me to respond to a beep assuring myself the car and I aren't in danger, and then look at the screen to read the message. At this point, I can't do that in under the 1 - 3 seconds I get between sound & message and the message disappearing. Thus I never know if there was a real problem or what behaviour I'm doing that the car doesn't like. As a passenger, I read the messages for the driver but when driving I need either for the message to stay on the screen for 5 - 10 seconds, or to be read to me like it reads text messages (this can be optional, I understand others don't find the disappearing messages an issue.) THAT is an update that I'd risk downloading immediately as it is a safety feature for me.

I figure I won't get offered the second update until I download and install the first. So I'm happily waiting for V12 to be rolled out widely. When that happens, I'll happily update one day to the holiday update (which is pretty stable at this point, it just isn't worth my time) and then go back the following day (or whenever V12 is offered to me) to update a second time.

This is my vehicle for my use, I'm not tesla's slave, being bossed around by them as they develop their software. Way back in our exchange, you asked why I bought a tesla. To be honest, I didn't understand how intrusive tesla would remain in my life, constantly requiring time from me. In my case, the time I save not standing at a gas pump when using the car around home, or taking the car in for oil changes, is lost to downloading and installing updates (and also learning how my car now works after an update, since routine things like how to change radio stations can be changed.)

Those who love getting a new car with almost every update, will love this 'feature' but those of us who just wanted to buy a car to move around while living our lives, don't automatically see this as a positive.

Upvote 0
A fair number of newer superchargers have a free wi-fi that the cars automatically connect to. I did an update in South Carolina that way. Not sure, but in the app and in the car that ‘info’ pop-up one gets when tapping a particular Supercharger icon says when wi-fi is available.
That works great when updates are made available when one is on a road trip. I hope it doesn't mean people are charging longer because they are also downloading an update, though.

In my case, locally it is roughly the same amount of time to drive to our only supercharger as the service centre. Neither are in interesting places to explore for 60 minutes while the car downloads and updates so neither are a great choice.

Upvote 0
Maybe Tesla isn’t for you @SidetrackedSue? In five years and three Tesla’s I’ve never had a single update problem and on balance the content has all been incredible compared to the starting point.

Most of the other EV brands have much slower if not zero updates, and several require a day or two in the shop to install. Might suit your use case better and reduce the stress you’re feeling around it?

Reactions: ewoodrick
Upvote 0
Maybe Tesla isn’t for you @SidetrackedSue? In five years and three Tesla’s I’ve never had a single update problem and on balance the content has all been incredible compared to the starting point.

Most of the other EV brands have much slower if not zero updates, and several require a day or two in the shop to install. Might suit your use case better and reduce the stress you’re feeling around it?

There is no doubt tesla isn't for me. I hate the car with a white-hot passion.

But until my husband dies, my hate for the car isn't the only input into ownership of it. It will be sold almost immediately when either of us dies.* We are a single car family (the first step in reducing our carbon footprint) so the car is a joint asset. I would have sold it within a year of purchase and turned a profit on it. My husband loves it, he got to pick our next vehicle when we needed a new one because he was facing a tough future and it was something I could do for him. It served well as a distraction and something new and positive in our lives as he waited for open heart surgery and it worked extremely well as a mobile Covid isolation booth which allowed us to eat dinner with a different view than the four walls of our apartment during lockdowns, even though it was winter, because it was an EV and there were no emissions while we admired the view.

I get to pick the next car. I love having an EV, I just hate tesla's attitude towards integrity and buttons. There's a ton I didn't know when I bought this car, including the fact that I would be paying 'luxury' pricing for a car that had less fit and finish details than my Prius. (Although I will say it has excellent front seats - of course that's because my car is an older one and still has front passenger adjustable lumber, something that later cars don't have, along with USS.) It has taught me a lot but mostly about what I don't want in my next vehicle.

*Funnily enough, if we still own the MY at the time, both of us will sell the car when the spouse dies, me to divest of this PoC, my husband to buy a MX!

Upvote 0
As an apt dweller, you're not gonna have a good time with any BEV out there, in my opinion. The issues involved with operating a BEV in an apt/condo are a looooong way from being fixed. I'd say we're 10+ years from real improvements that make it equal to having a BEV in a single family home.
I have 110V at my parking spot so no trouble with charging. Any BEV that doesn't require weekly updates over the December/January will be just fine.

Upvote 0
I have 110V at my parking spot so no trouble with charging. Any BEV that doesn't require weekly updates over the December/January will be just fine.
Many apts (I would say most, actually) don't have that option, so you're a bit better off in that respect. But 110v ain't gonna cut it as batteries get bigger and bigger. Plus, 110v is more inefficient than 220v so you're wasting money overall by using 110v to charge large capacity batteries.

Also, I'm the first to say that Tesla has a less-than-perfect update process. That being said, it's lightyears ahead of any other BEV makers. Ford just released an update that literally bricked the vehicle if there was any problem downloading it. Had to be towed to the dealer to fix. Like it or not, Tesla is by far the most advanced BEV maker out there. If you don't like their products, I think it's fair to say you're gonna hate another brand of BEV. I'd stick with a hybrid for your next car. They'll be around for a good bit longer despite the push to all electric by 2035.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich
Upvote 0