Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV maker Fisker says it may go out of business

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that bankruptcy frees an OEM of its obligation to ensure spare parts for another decade.
What obligation? In what country does such an obligation exist? If it's the US, can you cite the source?

Automakers selling/leasing in the US are only obligated to provide warranty and recall repairs. After that, tough. Worst case is they can buyback vehicles they can't fix.

If they go bankrupt and/or out of business, that can throw a wrench into warranty and recall obligations...

Reactions: MP3Mike
That was mentioned in the youtube video.
Didn't watch.

There isn't any for the US. I've had to go over this many times (at least once here and numerous times in other places): Gen2 Wall Connector Failed - Cannot Repair or Replace. Gen2 Wall Connector Failed - Cannot Repair or Replace has a dead link but you can see a copy at Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA (search it for limitations).

I went over it at First time EV buyer/parts availability question again.

As for buyback, this is going on now with 30 kWh Leafs: The battery replacement/buyback thread..

Basically, 30 kWh packs that fail or hit 4 capacity bar loss within the 8 year/100K mile (whichever comes first) warranty were being replaced by 40 kWh packs (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171230-0001.pdf) as 30 kWh packs were discontinued by Jan 2020. Nissan was doing that for years until they decided to usually (always?) balk on that and are often (always?) offering buybacks: The battery replacement/buyback thread..

The below is another example of buybacks. I'm guessing some people got fired over this:

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike