Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does UMC Stay Locked if Power is Cut?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to charge my Model Y outside sometimes, I know the charge is locked in place, but obviously someone can yank that plug out on the brick end. Worst case someone steals the 35 dollar adapter. I just want to make sure the lock is still in place in this case so they cant steal the whole charger.

I dont want to yank the charger plug while charging to test this, so wonder if anyone has an idea.

I just want to make sure the lock is still in place in this case so they cant steal the whole charger.

They can still steal the charger because the locking mechanism is disabled for freezing temperatures. That was changed to stop an issue where it would freeze to the charge port - actually that is true for the 3, I assume also for the Y.

If you are seriously worried that your charger will be stolen (ex. you live in an area where theft is common), then you'll need to work out your own solution.

If you live in a low-crime area, makes more sense to risk the charger being stolen than to spend $200 on a secure box.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia