Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cable hanging under the bonnet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks
About to purchase a model S via auction and saw a cable was hanging out under the car please see picture for detail and anyone could try to help me to identify what the cable is and where it is there? 2018 model 75d
Thanks in advance
0E46EEE6-8B1B-41EB-AD31-9FC40FFF856D.png

Attachments

• 2FF4204D-CE15-4D81-A190-BF2BB819C70D.png
    2FF4204D-CE15-4D81-A190-BF2BB819C70D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Thanks for the above comment. Speak to Tesla service this morning and they can not locate any communication between the car and them. So it was either stored for a long time or the on board computer does not be able to connect to Tesla. Any experts here on the potential issue

Thanks for the above comment. Speak to Tesla service this morning and they can not locate any communication between the car and them. So it was either stored for a long time or the on board computer does not be able to connect to Tesla. Any experts here on the potential issue
Could be a number of things.
If the MCU boots then I'd ask the auction for a picture of the error codes and go from there.
For reference, I bought a front corner damaged car from copart with no airbags deployed, I ended up having to rip the pack open to replace contactors as a HV cable have been nipped when the wheel came flying off. If I'd have seen the list of error codes (welded contactor), I'd have probably not purchased.

For the OP, the front tyre seems to be attached and rolling. If Tesla is not able to connect it might be as already suggested. Ask the seller to open the car (opening the trunk is sufficient) so the car turns on and this revokes connection to the mothership. I had once situation that roadside assistance was not “seeing my car” and as soon as I approached it and it woke up it appeared to their system.

Thanks all the input folks. Managed to get two further pictures from auction house
Is that means they manage to wake the car and it will be able to make contact to Tesla for update?

Attachments

• 0F9F56C2-A152-48A0-BB98-08CD40930DF3.jpeg
    0F9F56C2-A152-48A0-BB98-08CD40930DF3.jpeg
    580.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 98B8228D-6B34-4259-8C86-C93C4485D354.jpeg
    98B8228D-6B34-4259-8C86-C93C4485D354.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 56
Regarding the picture from the MCU, it's too grainy to read the mileage, but the software version shown is really old, looks like a v10.1 2019 build. There is an early 2020 build shown as available for update, but that also is pretty old. That would make me believe that this car has been either sitting somewhere for a long time, or it's no longer connecting to Tesla service, although it does show as having an LTE cellular connection (I think that just means it can connect to the cellular carrier, maybe not to Tesla server).

Reactions: Dadazuzu
Regarding the picture from the MCU, it's too grainy to read the mileage, but the software version shown is really old, looks like a v10.1 2019 build. There is an early 2020 build shown as available for update, but that also is pretty old. That would make me believe that this car has been either sitting somewhere for a long time, or it's no longer connecting to Tesla service, although it does show as having an LTE cellular connection (I think that just means it can connect to the cellular carrier, maybe not to Tesla server).
hi PCMc. You know any reason which potential make the car cannot communicate to the Tesla server. Or just someone did not bother to click the “update”.Since this is a 68 reg car suppose still under warranty so even the worst case I can book the car in to sort it out. Regarding the mileage ( excuse for the low resolution pic I can only read x,xxx so less than 10000 miles) which is in line as the assumption which the car been sit for a long time. Any thing I need to look out for or take action if I acquire the vehicle. Thanks. Merry Christmas

This situation that there is an update pending and it seems to be on old SW version is just the fact that the car have been sit for a very long time without 12V power. These cables indicate that they have had to boost the battery to be able to move the car. It is also the side effect that as it has been sit so long then the mothership can’t reach it. It would be advisable to have a look yourself prior attempting to purchase it. It has a Sentry function as well so it might have AP 2,5. And Merry Christmas!

hi PCMc. You know any reason which potential make the car cannot communicate to the Tesla server. Or just someone did not bother to click the “update”.Since this is a 68 reg car suppose still under warranty so even the worst case I can book the car in to sort it out. Regarding the mileage ( excuse for the low resolution pic I can only read x,xxx so less than 10000 miles) which is in line as the assumption which the car been sit for a long time. Any thing I need to look out for or take action if I acquire the vehicle. Thanks. Merry Christmas
It is possible that it's just a case no one bothered to install the update. Again, it's hard to read clearly the photo, but it looks like it's on 2019.40.2.1 software which first was reports about 2 years ago and the pending update is from about a year ago, so the car has been sitting likely for between 1 to 2 years.

Car may be a great find, but I'd want to understand the reasons why it sat for so long unused. I think the real issue in my mind is understanding the details behind why the car was allowed to sit that long unused. Allowing the 12V battery to go dead for an extended period of time could mean it's going to need replaced. Other question would be how long the high voltage battery sat at an extremely low SOC and what that could mean for the battery health.

Good luck.